[Smtk-developers] Is RGG requried by SMTK's vtk extension?

David Thompson david.thompson at kitware.com
Thu May 3 12:00:24 EDT 2018

Hi John,

> We recently pushed MR !1108 to remove some RGG dependencies and change the default SMTK__ENABLE_RGG_SESSION to "off", however I just learned that RGG is much more tightly coupled into to SMTK that I realized. In particular, the vtk extension file vtkAuxiliaryGeometryExtension.cxx uses RGG code, so that the vtk extension is dependent on the rgg extension. I have not looked into this in any detail, as I am trying to get a build ready for SLAC this afternoon, but I want to pose the question
> 	• Can re revise the vtk extension to not be dependent on rgg?

I am shocked that this dependency crept in. Yes, it should definitely be removed. At least one way to remove it is to add another class like vtkAuxiliaryGeometryExtension that _only_ provides ".rgg" files. The way smtk::common::Extensions work is that if one extension cannot handle a file, the next one is tried.

	David