[Smtk-developers] Color Support Part 2

Bob Obara bob.obara at kitware.com
Fri Mar 24 16:30:41 EDT 2017

Hi All,

As hinted in my previous email, we are going support inherited color support.  For example if you want to have all your surfaces colored white and your edges colored blue - you will be able to select the edges node in the model tree and set its color to blue - as a result, all edges will be by default blue.  If you then select edge 3 and set it to yellow you will have all your edges but edge 3 blue and edge 3 will be yellow - if you then change the edges node color to say red - all edges but edge 3 will be red and edge 3 will remain yellow.

The issue this brings up is how to easily identify to the user that a model entity  has an explicit color or is inheriting the color from the model tree.

Below are two possible solutions:

1. Change the shape of the “color swatch" associated with the model entity - in this case a rounded color swatch indicates that the entity is using an inherited color (in this case white) and a square shape indicates that it has an explicit color

2. keep the shape of the color swatch the same and use a hash pattern  to indicate the color is inherited - a variation of this could be is to have just the icon (no border) to indicate that the color is inherited.

Comments?

Bob

Robert M. O'Bara, MEng.
Assistant Director of Scientific Computing

Kitware Inc.
28 Corporate Drive
Suite 101
Clifton Park, NY 12065