[Smtk-developers] git-lfs test repository

David Thompson david.thompson at kitware.com
Tue Jul 25 15:32:10 EDT 2017

Hi Marcus,

> That is odd, I was interested, and just tried cloning
>
> $ time git clone https://gitlab.kitware.com/ben.boeckel/cmb-lfs-test.git
> real    0m39.754s
> $ time git lfs clone https://gitlab.kitware.com/ben.boeckel/cmb-lfs-test.git
> real    0m18.448s
>
> This is with git 2.13.3
> Definitely faster, and easier to follow output, but both pretty fast from 21 on a desktop Linux machine.

I am pretty sure it has a lot to do with your proximity to the data. At KRS, it took

  git clone, Ben's test repo      21m32s
  git lfs clone, Ben's test repo   6m36s
  git clone, CMB test-data repo    2m28s

This is git 2.11.0 on macos Sierra. I also installed homebrew git (2.13.3) and got a similar time for "git lfs clone" (6m49s).

We are planning to move ahead with git-lfs but will prune the larger, unused input datasets by not adding them to the repo. If we need large data (examples or benchmarking) a separate repo is an option.

	David