[Smtk-developers] ParaView/CMB changes for multiple views

David Thompson david.thompson at kitware.com
Thu Jul 6 10:52:55 EDT 2017

Hi all,

As I work on changes for CMB v5, one of the big features will be for ModelBuilder to allow multiple render-views instead of its current practice of creating a single default view that cannot be split or changed.

I am thinking about using this opportunity to refactor the ModelBuilder code where it was confusing and would appreciate your input. I'll outline my plan below:

Currently, CMB is organized as shown in the attached diagram: the pqCMBModelManager (which owns the smtk::model::Manager indirectly) creates and manages 1 pqSMTKModelInfo per model plus any auxiliary-geometry representations that are intended to be separate from the model. The pqSMTKModelInfo owns a pqSMTKMeshInfo instance (which owns multiple representations for the model's mesh collection) and several representations (1 for each separate auxiliary geometry image).

I believe that a lot of the code can be simplified by removing the pqSMTK*Info and smtkAuxGeoInfo classes (none of which *were* representations but which owned representations) in favor of a new pqSMTKModelRepresentation class. I have some more due diligence to do:

+ it may require a subclass of vtkPVDataRepresentation on the server, but we may also be able to get by with just managing multiple proxies to existing server-side representations in pqSMTKModelRepresentation.
+ I'm not familiar with the interaction of selection and representations and need to ensure we'll be able to continue selecting things in a filtered way.

If you can think of other problems with this or have better ideas, please let me know.

	David