[Smtk-developers] SMTK Build issues against ParaView Release

David Thompson david.thompson at kitware.com
Thu Jul 14 20:57:01 EDT 2016

Hi Bob,

> When I try to build SMTK I get:
>   "vtkDomainsChemistryOpenGL2_AutoInit_Destruct()", referenced from:
>       vtkDomainsChemistry_AutoInit::~vtkDomainsChemistry_AutoInit() in pqArcWidgetManager.cxx.o
>       vtkDomainsChemistry_AutoInit::~vtkDomainsChemistry_AutoInit() in pqArcWidgetPanel.cxx.o
>       vtkDomainsChemistry_AutoInit::~vtkDomainsChemistry_AutoInit() in pqPolygonArc.cxx.o
>   "vtkDomainsChemistryOpenGL2_AutoInit_Construct()", referenced from:
>       __GLOBAL__sub_I_pqArcWidgetManager.cxx in pqArcWidgetManager.cxx.o
>       __GLOBAL__sub_I_pqArcWidgetPanel.cxx in pqArcWidgetPanel.cxx.o
>       __GLOBAL__sub_I_pqPolygonArc.cxx in pqPolygonArc.cxx.o
> clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
> [12/29] Building CXX object smtk/bridge/polyg...hon/smtk_bridge_polygon_session_wrapper.cpp.o
> ninja: build stopped: subcommand failed.
>

> Any idea as to why we are linking with Chemistry?

I don't think we're directly linking to chemistry. Instead, VTK has been compiled with chemistry support. That means that when CMakeLists.txt calls "include(${VTK_USE_FILE})" all of the source files in that directory have compiler flags added to them. Then, if any source file includes VTK, the compiler flags get turned into unresolved references to functions in the rendering libraries. Unfortunately, the VTK_USE_FILE does not also provide a list of all the dependent libraries that it forces you to link to and we haven't added that one (vtkDomainsChemistryOpenGL2) yet.

	David