[Smtk-developers] Polygon question

David Thompson david.thompson at kitware.com
Sun Sep 20 18:25:18 EDT 2015

Hi Bob,

> The situation you described would be invalid for 2d domains.  Either there is the one large polygonal model face or there are two.  To have all three would mean that a point in space would be "owned" by more than one model entity.  If we were modeling a 3D contact type of problem then a spatial point could be owned by more than one model entity; however, those model entities could not belong to the same topological "network".
>
> Does that make sense?

I am happy to take things that way. :-) However, I suspect at some point we will see someone complain about a mangled model because they created the "large" face manually; then created the middle edge and ran the "create all faces" operator — which would either fail or create an inconsistent model.

Right now, the "create edge" operator in my branch verifies the edge does not self-intersect but it doesn't do any checks against existing model faces or edges. Arguably it should not, since – as you say – users might want to construct several independent "networks."

Maybe we should have a "model geometry lint" filter?

	David