[Smtk-developers] Polygonal modeling question

David Thompson david.thompson at kitware.com
Fri Oct 9 10:05:17 EDT 2015

Hi Bob,

I have a question about eliminating edges only used by small loops which we wish to kill. I'm working on a sweepline algorithm to discern loops and nesting incrementally and the attached picture (which is like the one you drew in the CMB core meeting) shows a conundrum when sweeping left-to-right... when I get to point E (where the small loop b-C-E-b is closed by the algorithm) should I eliminate edge C-E or edge C-b-E? Similarly, at point F, should I eliminate E-F or E-d-F? The decisions are arbitrary, although my best guess is that the edges with the shorter arc-length should be kept (minimizing curvature energy seems consistent with eliminating loops with small areas).

You had mentioned eliminating edges unused by other loops, but the sweepline algorithm won't necessarily have other loops determined yet.

	David