[Smtk-developers] Python error with SMTK in custom application

David Thompson david.thompson at kitware.com
Tue Jan 20 13:34:55 EST 2015

Hi Utkarsh,

> For a custom application based on SMTK commit
> c8b0d2d511b2ec5153b4174a7f14b68c3a17cde7 I am getting the following
> error. Any ideas on why and how to overcome it? I cannot update to
> SMTK master since the project doesn't build with SMTK master.

> Fatal Python error: [libshiboken] Failed to initialise
> Shiboken.SbkEnumType metatype.

I have not seen that error before, but that commit is related to environment variable settings that were causing the dashboards to fail. They really should only affect the tests (looking at git diff cc5812e..c8b0d2d).

1. What platform are you running on?

2. You said "the project doesn't build with master". Is the above a compilation error? If so, what target was building?

3. Are you able to run a python interpreter with the same environment as your project's executable and try "import smtk" with a new SMTK? Is it a problem loading the library or does the library get loaded properly? Can you add ${CMB_SUPERBUILD_DIR}/install/lib/python2.7/site-packages to your PYTHONPATH and see if "import shiboken" runs properly (without first importing smtk)?

	David