[Smtk-developers] AppImage

Ben Boeckel ben.boeckel at kitware.com
Wed Jun 26 11:28:28 EDT 2019

On Wed, Jun 26, 2019 at 11:10:52 -0400, TJ Corona wrote:
> I just came across AppImage <https://appimage.org/>, a many-flavor
> linux approach to packaging applications. For the brave, it also
> appears to work on Windows 10 (using their linux subsystem). It’s
> totally open-source, which is also nice. Could ParaView/ModelBuilder
> use this for linux deployment?

There's also Flatpak which supports (AFAIK) the ability to overlay with
other "SDKs", so we can just say "we need Qt" and it would be overlayed
before our flatpak. I don't know how this would work with the "bring
your own Python" strategy.

Here's a comparison article:

    https://verummeum.com/portable-package-formats/

I don't really care about snap because Canonical doesn't seem interested
in making it work outside of Ubuntu.

--Ben