[Smtk-developers] Resource Proxies (not the ParaView kind)

John Tourtellott john.tourtellott at kitware.com
Thu Mar 15 16:03:00 EDT 2018

I haven't caught up with everything in this thread, but want to inject a
few comments of my own anyway. Sorry if they look like criticism or
complaints....

   - I also would NOT favor smtk automagically loading resources ad hoc. If
   resources are darn big, we could choke someone's desktop this -- better to
   make the app/user do that.
   - I also do NOT favor the idea of a member data for the resource "role",
   but perhaps I misunderstand the context (feel free to tell me mo'). To my
   mind, a resource can/will have multiple roles in a typical application.
      - a resource can have different roles with respect to different
      operators used in a workflow
      - a resource's role could change over its life cycle.
      - Side note: I wasn't sure if the "role" is intended to be persistent
      -- I am been presuming not, since different applications might have
      completely different roles for the same resource.
      - As for the OfflineComponent idea
      - I definitely like the concept and the reasoning behind it
      - in addition to the "resolve" method, it also needs an "error"
      method (perhaps that was implied and I missed it)
      - I am not sure it should be a subclass of Component, but instead an
      independent class. But this last point might be an implementation detail;
      plus I haven't actually looked at the Component API either...

On Thu, Mar 15, 2018 at 10:59 AM, David Thompson <david.thompson at kitware.com