[Smtk-developers] Failing SMTK test

David Thompson david.thompson at kitware.com
Mon Sep 25 16:40:04 EDT 2017

Hi all,

I've been trying to track down why discreteSmtkModelfrom2dmTest is failing on the dashboards.  The bug occurs because the discrete model's edge operator can't determine the ID of the point chosen for the split.

The problem appears to be in smtk/bridge/discrete/operators/EdgeOperator.cxx:

int EdgeOperator::convertToGlobalPointId(int localPid, vtkDiscreteModelEdge* cmbModelEdge)

which is called with `localPid` set to a value from the operator's MeshSelectionItem. Inside convertToGlobalPointId, an error occurs because hasTessellation() returns a null pointer. The edge selected also has no mesh backing (i.e., edge.meshTessellation().isValid() is false).

I am still confused as to why my recent change (SMTK MR 856) caused this to surface; all it does is stop a model file from being loaded twice -- and when it does, it prints out error messages that do not appear when running smtkModelfrom2dmTest.

Does anyone who knows more about MeshSelectionItem, particularly what its integers index into, have a clue?

	Thanks,
	David