[Smtk-developers] New Feature for Attribute Definitions - inheritable association rules

Robert Michael O'Bara bob.obara at kitware.com
Wed Oct 25 17:33:37 EDT 2017

Hi Guys,

Like Haocheng, I’m leaning towards the subset criteria.  David, you bring up a good use case that I can see happening, through I don’t think independent rules will solve the problem in an elegant way.  Let’s assume the 2d template was using rule  inheritance so that all boundary conditions can be assigned to edges come from a common boundary condition definition.  Similarly, all surface conditions are derived from a common definition that has a face association rule.

Now, to reuse the template and change edges to faces and faces to volumes would require all of the leaf definitions to have a new definition derived from them to change the inherited association rule since you couldn’t simply change the base definition rules.  It would certainly be doable but cumbersome.

I would probably suggest that instead, the entire template get copied for the 3D case and physically change the base definition rules.

One way to avoiding the copying of the template would be to somehow abstract out the topology information.  Way back we had talked about having more abstract/conceptual model entity references like boundary and domain. Based on the dimension of the model, the interpretation of boundary and domain w/r actual topological elements would be determined. I’m not saying we should implement this approach but it would solve it the use case.

Does that make sense?

Sent from my iPad