[Smtk-developers] Operator results with mesh changes

David Thompson david.thompson at kitware.com
Mon May 15 09:56:46 EDT 2017

Hi Rob,

> Looks like you posted while I was writing my post.

Yup. :-)

> 1. Yes this is desired ...

I am fine with it for now (although I guess it will change when someone starts creating really large meshes) but wanted to make sure I understood the assumptions being made.

> 2. I haven't did a deep look into WriteMesh, but we need to confirm that we have a clear understanding of Export, Write, and WriteAs handled properly. I am concerned that saving the location to writeLocation could change a subsequent model write  in the future by mistake.

You're saying that we should instead do:

        collection->writeLocation(filePath);
        return writer->write(collection, subset);

> Now if these changes are correct, you should specify the writeLocation before calling write, as that will allow you to us the unspecified writer->write api IIRC.

I am fine with changing the order inside the operator as above, but want to be sure the filename is preserved in the collection so that saving the SMTK model will result in updates to the mesh (such as changes in the classification) get preserved.

	David