[Smtk-developers] git-lfs test repository

Ben Boeckel ben.boeckel at kitware.com
Tue Jul 25 11:54:04 EDT 2017

On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 11:09:27 -0400, David Thompson wrote:
> The previous version (only 1 file used git-lfs) cloned in 8 minutes. I
> am over 32 minutes into cloning the new version and barely half-way
> through (by total size). Even if newer versions of git/git-lfs are
> faster (I am using the macos-provided 2.11.0 and homebrew git-lfs
> 1.5.3), will it be enough?

OK, this seems like a KHQ/KRS difference, nothing inherent. It cloned
here in seconds (separate clone/fetch steps for the LFS data took ~30
seconds).

Versions I'm using:

    git 2.9.4
    git-lfs 1.5.5

Starting with 2.11.0, git can run filters through a single process
(rather than a new process per filtered path).

Note that there is also `git lfs clone` which defers content download
until after the non-LFS data is downloaded. What's the performance of
that? How about a clone without LFS at all and then followed by:

    git lfs fetch
    git lfs checkout

?

--Ben