[Smtk-developers] Another crazy idea

Haocheng Liu haocheng.liu at kitware.com
Mon Jul 17 10:05:09 EDT 2017

Hi TJ,

I think it's a really cool idea, it would greatly reduce the learning curve
of understanding how SMTK read inputs(attribute system)and processes
operation result(mesh_expunged, modified...etc).
On Sun, Jul 16, 2017 at 9:17 PM, TJ Corona <tj.corona at kitware.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I’ve been thinking about ways to make smtk/cmb more accessible to a
> novice user (one of the things that may help to grow a larger community of
> non-Kitware developers). Teeing off of Alvaro’s GUI .sbt creator, I was
> thinking that we could create a GUI creator for making operators. It would
> essentially be the .sbt creator, but it would also generate a skeleton .py
> (or .cxx) file that would have generated code for accessing the inputs and
> populating the outputs that were chosen by the user in the .sbt file. We
> could pair this with a means of loading .py operators in ModelBuilder at
> runtime (which would basically a) load the .py module and b) copy the
> input .py file to a users directory that is loaded at startup). This would
> lower the bar for creating operators to just understanding how to fill in
> the “guts” of an operator.
>

>From my experience, a serious gap for creating opeator is to understand how
to get the input from specification and add entities to the result. Once
user has the head and tail of the operator, all user needs to do is to
create the body. I would like to generate these infos for them in the
skeleton .py(or .cxx).

I know Amanda at ERDC has begun learning how to write operators, and
> something like this could really simplify that process. All the pieces seem
> to be already in place, so the only thing we would need is the motivation
> to put it together.

+ 1.

> Do you guys think something like this could be useful enough to invest
> some development time?
>
> Sincerely,
> T.J.
>
> Operator creator might should contain these four parts:

   - session (I know discrete session and polygon session have their own
   logic of transcribing data. So we should warning the developer before they
   shoot their foot)
   - input for the operator
   - output for the operator
   - .cxx /.py