[Smtk-developers] qtModelOperationWidget

Yumin Yuan yumin.yuan at kitware.com
Mon May 4 09:02:18 EDT 2015

Hi Bob,

On Sun, May 3, 2015 at 3:57 PM, Robert Michael O'Bara <bob.obara at kitware.com
> wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I have a conceptual question concerning how Views work w/r operators:
>
> Who creates and maintains the attribute system which contains all of the
> operator attribute specifications?
>
> qtModelOperationWidget (through setCurrentOperation) - modifies the root
> view by adding an instance view for the operator - does this ever get
> deleted?

The qtModelOperationWidget holds references of the qtInstancedView for
operators once they are requested, and they will be deleted once the
qtModelOperationWidget is removed from the system.

> It looks like the root view is never processed by the qtUIManager - only
> the instanced is processed - Am I correct?  If I am, why?

This is another typical use of the "view" system before. We have a simple
template, and all we need is a qtInstancedView to present the UI for the
template, and we don't really need anything from the root view, but the way
it was set up, we have to use the root view to get the UI for instanced
view.

> Now that we can add new qtViewWdigets to the UI Manager - do we need to
> create a operator specific qt view class?

 I would think not. To me this is a very simple use case for the new view
system, and this is also how we generate the meshing panel in cmbV4. I am
not sure how other projects are using the view system, but I think this is
a common case. Basically, we have a template, and we want to use the
qtInstancedView for it.

Yumin