[Smtk-developers] Some Changes

Robert Michael O'Bara bob.obara at kitware.com
Fri Jul 24 16:30:50 EDT 2015

Hi All,

Couple of things:

1. I’ve created a smtk testing data repo on GitLab
2. TopLevel Views

I’ve adding the concept of a TopLevel View - by adding the xml attribute TopLevel = “true” to a View Element or
view->details().setAttribute(“TopLevel”, “true”) you can indicate that the view is a top level view.  A SMTK or CMB application can now find all the top level view in an attribute system.  This now removes the need to hardcode the name of the view an application needs to look for (for example SimBuilder was looking for a View called SimBuilder and the export dialog was looking for a view called Export.

Any View can be a TopLevel View.  I’ve also simplified the qtUIManager class so you now only need to set the SMTK View to the Manager in order for the proper qtView to be generated.

3. I have an updated CMB branch that is compatible to these changes.

4. Removing Root Views

With the concept of a TopLevel View I’m planning on removing Root Views all together since they don’t really add any new functionality.  Instead you will be able to add the appropriate Root View Attributes (like default and invalid color) to any View.

Comments are welcome as always

Robert M. O'Bara, MEng.
Assistant Director of Scientific Computing

Kitware Inc.
28 Corporate Drive
Suite 101
Clifton Park, NY 12065