[Smtk-developers] Packaging SMTK remote bridge.

David Thompson david.thompson at kitware.com
Sat Feb 28 15:38:36 EST 2015

Hi Rob (et al.),

> Awesome! If we think it [SMTK remote session] isn't stable we can hold it back from the initial release and dig into the issue in April. I just didn't want to not package the Remus bridge if it was ready to be released.

Actually, I tried to create a python script (pull request #88) that would replicate the issue I was seeing and  cannot. So then I hacked ModelBuilder to create a connection to the server and ask the server for available workers (which get registered as new session types in SMTK) and was able to load a model, translate it, and write it back out from within ModelBuilder.

So, it looks like the Remus remote session should be included in the SMTK release. It will take a little work to make things right in ModelBuilder:

1. No tessellation information is being included in the data transmitted from the smtk-model-worker, so the tree view is correct but the 3D view is empty. However, writing a model from the remote process and loading it into a process-local CGM session showed that the operations performed on it were done as requested. It was also neat to see the dialog below pop up when I went to load the test file!

2. There should be a UI to connect to a Remus server (and then update the list of available session types). The hack I did was to create a local, in-process server that will spawn separate worker processes.

	David