[Smtk-developers] Unifying Meshing helpers between smtk and cmb.

Yumin Yuan yumin.yuan at kitware.com
Fri Apr 10 15:33:10 EDT 2015

Hi Dave,

On Fri, Apr 10, 2015 at 3:05 PM, David Thompson <david.thompson at kitware.com>
wrote:

> Hi Yumin,
>
> >> I am for eliminating the code duplication. Is the desire really to not
> require SMTK or to not require people to use ModelBuilder to load a CMB
> file?
> >
> > This is really not related to ModelBuilder. I was talking about loading
> a mesh (.3dm) or points (.pts) file directly into paraview, which is a
> common usecase for some users. This usecase really just needs
> cmbVTKExtension, not smtk or smtkVTKExt. Ideally, we could have a package
> of paraview with just cmbVTKExtension as a plugin.
>
> Yes, but is there a reason the plugin should not be part of SMTK instead
> of part of CMB?

Well, conceptually there are some classes in cmbVTKExt that are not related
to simulation at all, so they do not fit inside smtk. However, we could
separate those out, and only move those related to simulation over to smtk.
I don't have objection to that. Frankly, I will love to see some classes in
cmbVTKExt are built outside of cmb and smtk, so that they can be linked
from cmb and smtk separately. For example, MeshViewer can just linked
against this library without requiring smtk.

Yumin