[Smtk-developers] Loading in STP Models

David Thompson david.thompson at kitware.com
Mon Dec 22 18:03:07 EST 2014

Hi Bob,

> I’ve got another model that so far has been loading for 40 min - maybe we could have it output 10% status updates so I know its doing something and not lost?

The problem is that the the model is being traversed by depth-first search (bodies, volumes, faces, edges, vertices) so it is unclear how much work remains at any given point.  The tessellation information is added as each entity is encountered without a clear idea of how many entities remain.

I think it would be easier to profile and improve tessellation than generate progress (and the progress signals might slow things down even more).

For CGM, it appears possible to call GeometryQueryTool::get_graphics with a CGM Body* and get back primitives for all of the body's faces and edges at once (with offsets into the primitives for each)... but the method is not documented and not suited to the way the SMTK bridge is set up to do on-demand transcription of entities so I did not investigate it initially. However, I suspect it will be much faster than the current technique.

	David